The mung bean salad indian style is so delicious and super quick. The perfect weekday meal with such few ingredients. I’m always looking for fast protein packed meals that are yummy. I basically used the same ingredients for my Quinoa Salad with Cilantro, Tomato, & Cucumber but with an indian twist.
I made this one with mung beans but feel free to use the beans of your choice. I try to use dry beans over canned beans when possible (for the advantages of using dried beans over canned beans see Dry Beans Vs. Canned Beans). The problem with using dry beans though is the soak time. Dry beans usually require 8-12 hours of soak time. I can sometimes bypass at least some of the soak time by using my pressure cooker. I often opt for mung beans as they require less soak time and they better for the tummy (see here for more info). Make sure to not overcook the beans, as even a few minutes too long will cause them to go mushy.
Ingredients for Mung Bean Salad Indian Style
- 2 cups dry mung beans (or another type of beans, can also use 3 cans of beans)
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- half a small red onion or 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- juice from one lemon
- 1-2 fresh chillies chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Mung Bean Salad Indian Style
- For cooking dry beans: wash beans and soak overnight/8-12 hours (can soak for less time but just know that it will require more cooking time). Place beans in a pot or pressure cooker with 6 cups of water. If using a pressure cooker, cook beans for about 10-15 minutes, checking frequently. If using a regular pot, cook for 40-50 minutes, checking frequently.
- Combine cooked or canned beans with the rest of the ingredients.
- Adjust spices to taste and enjoy 🙂