I was on a sugar free cleanse a few months back and I had an intense craving for apple pie. As I wasn’t allowed any type of sugar, I had to figure out how to make a sugar free apple pie. Turns out, it is incredibly easy! This recipe only calls on 3 ingredients for the apple filling and only 4 ingredients for the crust. 🙂 You can also check out my post on the best Gluten Free Dairy Free Pie Crust Recipes (8 Options) for more (vegan/grain-free) crust options.
See my recipe below for how to make a sugar free apple pie. 🙂
- *4 apples sliced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp coconut flour
- maple syrup or stevia to taste, optional
- 2 cup sorghum flour (I think rice flour would also work though I haven't tried it yet)
- 2/3 of a cup vegan shortening (or butter if not vegan)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ground chia + 6 tbsp of water (or 2 eggs if not vegan)
- dash of maple syrup, optional
- Add the sliced apples, cinnamon, coconut flour and sweetener, if using, into a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add the ground chia + 6 tbsp of water into a bowl and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the salt to the flour and mix well.
- With your hand, crumble the shortening and add to the flour mixture.
- Add the chia mixture (and maple syrup if using).
- Work the dough with your hands until it forms a balls.
- Split the dough into 2 balls (we will need one part for the base of the pie and one part for the top).
- Place the dough ball into your pie pan and use your hands to pat it on the bottom and the sides of your pie pan.
- Pre-bake the crust for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- While it's baking, prepare the top of the crust.
- Take 2 large sheets of parchment paper. Lay one sheet down and sprinkle with flour.
- Place the dough ball onto the parchment sheet and sprinkle with flour.
- Place the other piece of parchment paper on top.
- Carefully roll out the dough with a rolling pin until you reach the desired size and shape.
- Once the bottom of the crust is pre-baked remove from oven and add in the apple pie filling.
- Remove the top sheet of parchment paper and carefully flip over the crust onto the pie.
- Gently remove the top sheet of parchment paper and gently pat down the edges of the crust so that they stick to the edge of your pie pan.
- Poke a few holes into the crust with a fork and bake for about 15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- *Use green apples if you want to reduce the fruit sugar content
Im super impressed with this recipe! I never knew you could make sugar-free apple pie!
Thanks Bethany! It’s absolutely possible and totally delicious. 🙂
P.S. Your PB Granola bars look amazing!!!
Could you say, what wide pan did you use. Thank you.
Sorry about the late reply! I believe it was a 9 inch pie pan!