Item one for Irfan’s epic birthday meal! The prep for this is pretty intense, I’m not going to lie (freezing tofu overnight, baking it, frying it and then baking it again) and can be traumatic. BUT, if texture is important to you don’t skimp out on the steps. Irfan is all about texture and these were the “meatiest” tasting tofu we have had yet!
I really wanted to make my own bbq sauce but I had ran out of time in the end. Please do let me know if you have an awesome vegan bbq sauce recipe to share! Next time I plan to make the WHOLE thing from scratch 😉
1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu
1 tablespoon barbeque sauce
1 cup gluten-free flour or gluten-free breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup barbeque sauce
1. Drain tofu, and slice into strips. Place in a plastic bag or container, and freeze overnight. This will give the tofu a meatier texture. Thaw tofu strips, and blot with paper towels to dry.
2. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray baking sheet with oil and bake tofu for 15 minutes.
3. Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. In a small bowl, mix another 1/4 cup of olive oil together with 1 tablespoon of barbeque sauce. Combine the flour or breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper (plus any other seasoning you fancy!) in a separate bowl.
4. Remove tofu from oven when done and dip the tofu slices into the olive, then into the flour or breadcrumb mixture, shaking off excess flour/breadcrumbs. Fry in the hot oil for about 1 minute on each side, until golden brown. Just fry enough at one time so they are not crowded. Remove from the oil to paper towels to drain and cool.
5. Preheat the oven’s broiler. Brush tofu slices with additional barbeque sauce, and allow to marinate while the broiler heats up. Arrange them on a broiler pan, or wire rack set over a cookie sheet for best results.
6. Position the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source. Broil for 5 minutes on each side, or until browned and crisp, watching closely so as not to burn them. Serve warm with the remaining barbeque sauce for dipping.
Adapted from All Recipes