Prep time: 15 mins
Bake time: 20 mins
6 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1.5 teaspoon ground cumin
1.5 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
6-9 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (depends on how saucy you want it!)
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 14-ounce packages extra-firm or firm water-packed tofu, drained
2/3 cup yogurt (you choose: soy, milk, goat – I used goat, it was good!)
3 green onions chopped
chopped cilantro for garnish
1. Drain tofu (I usually place the tofu on a plate with another plate overtop, and then put something heavy on the top plate, like books. I leave it there for an hour or so, then I drain the water from the tofu)
2. Preheat oven to broil.
3. Combine paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cumin, coriander and turmeric in a small bowl.
4. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, lemon juice and the spice mixture; cook, stirring, until sizzling and fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
5. Slice each tofu block crosswise into 6 slices.
6. Use about 3 tablespoons (or more if you need to) of the spiced oil to brush both sides of the tofu slices; sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. (Reserve the remaining spiced oil.)
7. Oil a baking tray, and place tofu onto tray (you can also grill the tofu instead of using the oven)
8. Broil for 20 minutes or so or until the tofu edges just start to brown (if using a grill, just grill for 2-3 minutes per side). I broiled it for about 30 minutes and it was a really chewy “meaty” texture. If you don’t like it so chewy, reduce the time.
9. Combine “yogurt” and green onions with the reserved spiced oil in a small bowl. Adjust spices to taste. Serve the broiled/grilled tofu with the yogurt sauce, garnished with cilantro if desired. Serve with your fave grain and green.
I forgot to take a picture of the sauce, but it is sooo delicious!