This is the story of how this recipe for date balls rolled in coconut came to life.
I’m a lazy cook. There, I said it. I’m always on the hunt for super quick, easy and YUMMY recipes. The fewer the ingredients the better as well! I had invited a friend over for dinner and fifteen minutes before he was supposed to arrive I realized that I didn’t have dessert – yikes! It was the first time he was coming over and so one must host properly. 😛 I needed something super quick. I opened the fridge. I saw coconut and dates. Then I looked at my pantry. I saw walnuts. BAAM! A super easy, yummy and healthy 3 ingredient dessert. You are welcome. 🙂
The dessert was a hit! This one will go down as one of my favourite go-to super quick, healthy and yummy dessert recipes!
- 1 cup dates (soaked for 10 minutes in hot water if they are dry)
- *2 cups walnuts
- 1.5 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Put dates into a food processor and processes until mushy.
- Add the walnuts (or whatever nut you are using) and mix well. They should look crumbly but should be able to stick nicely together.
- On a plate/cutting board, spread out the shredded coconut.
- Using a 1 tbsp measuring spoon, spoon out the date/nut mixture.
- Roll into a ball using your hands.
- Roll out the ball onto the shredded coconut, making sure it's all nicely coconut.
- Do that for the remaining of the mixture.
- Should make about 20 balls.
- Put the balls into the fridge until you are ready to enjoy them. 🙂
- I think other types of nuts would also work (e.g. almonds, pecans).
These look fantastic, Kiran! Bonus for using three ingredients that I almost always have on hand. I definitely need to give these a go, I think my kiddos will like them too 🙂
Thanks Stephanie! I’m a lazy cook so the fewer the ingredients the better 😛